Tuesday July 10, 2018
With the warm weather comes more opportunities to be outside in the fresh air; allowing us to be healthier and more active. Whether your summer activities range from strolls around your neighbourhood or long walks around the cottage, we’ve collected 5 tips that will help you continue to care for your feet and prevent potential issues down the road:
1. Wear shoes or sandals around the pool, to the beach, in the locker room and even on the carpeting or in the bathroom of your hotel room to prevent injuries and limit the likelihood of contracting bacterial infections.
2. Remember to apply sunscreen all over your feet, especially the tops and fronts of your ankles. Don't forget to reapply sunscreen after you've been in the water.
3. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day. This will not only help with overall health but will also minimize any foot swelling caused by the heat.
4. Some activities at the beach, lake or river may require different types of footwear to be worn so be sure to ask the contact at each activity if specific shoes are needed. To be safe, always pack an extra pair of sneakers or protective water shoes. If your shoes will be getting wet, they should be dried out completely before your next wear in order to prevent bacteria or fungus from growing. If you are a diabetic, shoes should be worn at ALL times to avoid injury. Even the slightest scrape can be cause for alarm among people with diabetes, where healing can be difficult and may lead to limb amputation.
5. If you injure your foot or ankle while on vacation, seek professional medical attention from a podiatric physician. Many people will often only contact a doctor when something is broken or sprained, but a podiatrist can begin treating your ailment immediately while you're away from home.
Foot care is vital to our health as our feet can give us early warning signs about potential health problems. Spectrum Health Care has a team of foot care nurses who are specially trained in providing foot care treatment, information and support. Visit the Spectrum Health Care foot care page to learn more.
Just a note to thank you, on behalf of all the W’s. You were so supportive in finding help fast. We simply could not have gotten through a difficult year without your company’s services.
Mrs. P.W., Guelph